The holidays may not look like they did in years past, but the Capitol Riverfront BID and local partners have plenty of virtual and socially-distant activities for you and your family. Here's 12 things to do at the riverfront to keep the festive spirit alive despite the times.
1. Showcase your silver lining – This year, decorate your tree with the newest addition to your holiday collection -- a custom, limited-edition ornament from local artist Painted Palettes depicting the District's silver lining: the construction of the new Frederick Douglass Bridge. Plus, all proceeds will benefit Van Ness Elementary Parent-Teacher Organization. Pick up your ornament at Steadfast Supply beginning December 9 while supplies last. 301 Tingey St, SE
2. Secure last-minute season's greetings – Time is meaningless in 2020, so we get it if your holiday cards have fallen to the wayside. Luckily, you can pop by the southern block of Canal Park on December 10, from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm to have your family photo taken in front of the illuminated Capitol Riverfront holiday trees. Don't forget to listen to the sounds of Crush Funk Band as you explore the park's holiday forest. Free & open to the public, but photo session registration required. CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO REGISTRATION 200 M St, SE
3. Hop in the car and head down nostalgia lane – Catch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with the opening of the Capitol Riverfront Drive-in Movie, holiday edition, at The Akridge Lot in Buzzard Point Friday, December 11 at 6:30 pm. All proceeds will benefit multiple food-support charities in the District. CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS 1880 2nd St, SW
4. Grab your hot chocolate and your tissues – The season wouldn't be complete without a holiday rom-com. Cozy up with friends and fuzzy blankets inside your car for a showing of The Holiday as the Drive-in Movie Series continues at The Akridge Lot in Buzzard Point on Saturday, December 12 at 6:30 pm. CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS 1880 2nd St, SW
5. Santa Paws is coming to town – Sip on a complimentary warm drink while you gift your pet with their very own Instagram-worthy (and frame-worthy!) portrait on Santa's lap at The Salt Line's public Christmas tree lot on Sunday, December 13 from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm. All proceeds will be donated to the Humane Rescue Alliance. CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS 79 Potomac Ave, SE
6. Hop between your fave neighborhood restaurants – Venture out for the most delicious socially-distant holiday crawl you've been waiting for. Just like the Oktoberfest crawl, the Holiday Hop will have you trying out seasonal drinks and dishes from Monday, December 14 through Sunday, December 28. You'll support local businesses and have the chance to win prizes along the way when you fill out the Holiday Hop Punch Card and share to Instagram. All are invited to participate & win. At participating restaurants.
7. See the holiday lights – Stroll down to the Yards on Tuesday, December 15 from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm to see the annual Light Yards holiday art installation and pick up your very own special edition Capitol Riverfront mug, sip and snack on hot cocoa and cookies, and special discounts at local businesses. Tip: Pick up your holiday ornament at Steadfast Supply while you're down in the neighborhood. Free & open to the public. 355 Water St, SE
8. Toast to the holidays – Sip on seasonal cocktails that you made yourself from the comfort of your home. Pick up a cocktail kit from participating neighborhood restaurants on Wednesday, December 16. Tune into Instagram at 7:00 pm for virtual cocktail tutorials from your favorite local bartenders. EVENTBRITE TICKETS COMING SOON Pick up at participating restaurants; tune in virtually.
9. Witness a miracle – Take a walk down a wintry Half Street on Thursday, December 17 from 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm featuring holiday music, a mailbox for kids (and adults!) to drop off their letters to Santa, and snow. Yes, you heard that right. We might be biased, but it's the perfect spot for an Insta-worthy photo. Round it out with specials from neighboring restaurants. Free & open to the public. Half St, SE
10. Buckle up for a classic – Check a classic black and white drive-in movie off your bucket list this holiday season with a showing of It's A Wonderful Life on Friday, December 18 at 6:30 pm at The Akridge Lot in Buzzard Point. CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS 1880 2nd St, SW
11. Spice up family movie night – Pile your fam into the car for a drive-in twist to family movie night. Catch a showing of Elf, the last Capitol Riverfront drive-in movie of 2020, at the Akridge Lot down in Buzzard Point on Saturday, December 19 at 6:30 pm. CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS 1880 2nd St, SW
12. Take a jolly jog – Throw on your best ugly sweater and join VIDA and Pacers at Yards Park on Sunday, December 20 from 10:30 am - 1:30 pm for a holiday-themed fun run along the riverfront! It's the perfect way to preemptively work off all those festive pies and cookies AND support a local District charity, the Capitol Hill Community Foundation, with your registration. Participants will receive a complimentary post-run beverage from participating restaurants. SIGN UP HERE 355 Water St, SE